It’s more than just a garage floor tile. We engineer our products to provide you with the strength and flexibility you deserve. We’re so far ahead we leave our competitors standing still.
Why is Klikflor the easiest and most efficient floor choice on the market?
The ideal garage flooring option is Klikflor
How do our floor systems work?
The recommended garage flooring solution
Features & Benefits
Tightly Fitted Joints
Install Over Damaged Surfaces
Made In The UK
Free & Fast Delivery
No Specialist Tools
How Do You Install The K490 Tile?
- Stanley / utility knife with concave blade.
- Electric jig saw
- Table saw
- Band saw (with a timber blade)
- Magnum shear / guillotine.
Cleaning & General Maintenance:
By following these simple instructions you will help ensure that your floor looks good, maintains its anti-slip performance and you will also help extend its life span.
- Sweep or vacuum the floor to remove dust and dirt as often as is practical.
- If possible use a rotary scrubber dryer, if not a two compartment (separate clean & dirty water) bucket and mop.
- Use clean water and a suitable floor cleaner in a weak solution.
- Optional: Apply two to three coats of a hard wearing floor sealer when the floor is new.
Cleaning Chemicals & Polishes suitable for the K490 – Contact us for further information
- Heavy Duty Floor stripper – A powerful heavy duty cleaning and degreasing concentrate that removes multiple coats of dirt, oil, grease and finish build-up. Ideal for factories and industrial applications
- Rotex Floor Cleaner – Clean the floor with a Rotex neutral cleaner designed to quickly remove embedded soils without any residue. ROTEX requires no rinsing, and leaves a peach fragrance. Ideal for use with auto-scrubbers or the Biomop system.
- Distance Floor Sealer – To create a high quality finish and help reduce maintenance of your floor we recommend applying two to three coats or a good quality floor sealer. Distance is a clear, high gloss, hard, thermacrylic floor finish with superior dirt and black mark resistance. Coverage 50m² per litre / per coat
- Flat Head Mop System (best for system 2)- Consisting of a mop with a micro fibre mop head and twin compartment bucket. The micro fibre mop head lifts dirt from the surface of the floor and the two compartment buckets ensure that your clean and dirty water remain separate. This damp mopping system leaves the floor clean and semi-dry ready for foot traffic. The biomop system is ideal for smaller installations or where the floor area is difficult to access. Twin Compartment Bucket, Mop head, handle and 5 Microfibre Mop heads
- Rotary Scrubber Dryer – Cleaning the floor with a rotary scrubber dryer is the quickest and simplest method. If possible use a machine which has twin roller brushes and a powerful vacuum to suck up the dirty water. Investment in a good quality rotary scrubber dryer will save time, reduce cost by saving on labour and keep your floor looking good and performing well. Equipment Recommendation Karcher BR 45/40C
How to maintain your new garage floor:
Keeping your floor clean and looking good is a simple task but will involve a small investment on your part in the correct equipment and chemicals and the introduction of a simple but professional cleaning regime. The cleaning regime will be dictated by the usage that your floor will experience and can be broken down into three categories as follows:
- Preventive Measures – In entrance areas, it is a good idea to install an entrance mat which must be cleaned or replaced at regular intervals. This prevents a large percentage of dirt being carried into the building and diminishes wear and tear strain on the floor. Chairs fitted with either defective or missing gliders or unsuitable rollers/wheels destroy both the surface protection and the floor coverings themselves and should be changed or replaced.
- Initial Clean/Re-sealing the floor – The floor must be thoroughly cleaned prior to applying the sealer in order to remove installation-related residues and building dirt from newly installed floors, to remove any possible existing care finish and to get rid of residues of care products and dirt in the case of older floorings. Apply Rotex diluted with water (mix ratio is dependent on the resistance of the dirt residues). After allowing it to stand for 10-15 minutes, scrub the floor using a floor scrubber/polisher fitted with green pad. Rinse the floor with clean warm water until all traces of dirt and cleaning agents have been completely removed (the mopping water no longer bears any traces of foam!).
- Surface Protection with Distance Sealer – To protect the floor, help routine cleaning and prolong the lifespan of the flooring, a protective film of sealer can be applied immediately after completion of the cleaning. Distance is a long-term sealer, is particularly durable and will help improve the anti-slip performance of the floor.
PLEASE REMEMBER THE FOLLOWING RULES
- Regular & light cleaning is better than infrequent and heavy cleaning
- Do use an entrance mat to remove as much dirt and moisture.
- Do use a neutral PH floor cleaning detergent.
- Don’t use an excessive concentration of cleaning detergent, it will leave a sticky residue on the floor making cleaning harder in the future.
- Do use the correct cleaning equipment, either a two component bucket and mop system or rotary scrubber dryer, it may cost a bit more up front but will save you a fortune in time and effort in the long run.
- Don’t use excessive amounts of water, this will make your job harder, not easier, damp mopping is the best solution.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Where can I use Klikflor? – Our range has been designed to offer solutions for almost every conceivable flooring application, from factory floors to kids’ playrooms.
- Do I need to carry out repairs to the substrate before installing Klikflor? – No, except for major cracks or missing cement pieces, no skim coating, sealing, sand blasting or detergent washing is necessary. Just sweep or vacuum the floor to make sure that there are no loose items that will get stuck under the tiles and you’re ready to start installation.
- Does the garage floor need to be dry / do I need to degrease the substrate? – No, one of the main benefits of the Klikflor garage flooring system is that it can be laid on damp and contaminated substrates. The tiles allow the floor to breathe so any moisture will evaporate up through the joints. Because the tiles are not glued down oil contamination will not create a problem.
- Will water get underneath the tiles and start to smell? – Probably the question we get asked most often. In 20 years of trading we have never had a problem, in fact, a number of insurance companies have actually recommended customers who live in areas prone to flooding to use Klikflor garage flooring, as water getting under the tiles doesn’t cause a problem and eliminates the need to replace flood damaged floor coverings. The precision engineered Klikflor garage flooring joint is extremely tight but we do not claim that it is 100% waterproof. If large amounts of water are left to sit on the floor it is possible that some will seep through the joint. The most common concern people have is that the water will become stagnant and start to smell but this will not happen. Firstly the chemicals in PVC act as a natural biocide that prevents the growth of the bacteria that would make the water smell and secondly any moisture under the tiles will evaporate back up through the joint because the temperature above the tiles is almost certain to be higher than that under the tiles.
- How do I clean the tiles? – Please refer to our installation and maintenance instructions for a more in depth guide to cleaning but in general terms we recommend that firstly you sweep or vacuum up dust and dirt and then damp (not wet) mop the tiles. Water by itself or with a small quantity of detergent will suffice with either a mop or a rotary scrubber dryer if available. No waxes or sealers should be used. You can use a buffer with a lamb’s wool pad to buff a clean dry floor to an amazing shine. If required you can hose off the floor with your garden hose or a power washer (under 1300psi). Please refer to our cleaning and maintenance guidelines.
- Can I use a fork lift / floor jack / heavy machinery on our interlocking tiles? – Our tiles are extremely tough and hardwearing. It is a vinyl product so it will compress under heavy loads but will always return to its original shape.
- Can I start using my new garage floor straight away? – Yes, absolutely. The minute the tiles are down you can start using the floor.
- Why are Klikflor the best Interlocking Floor Tiles? – Klikflor offers the best value for money of any flooring product currently on the market. Customers often question this claim as in simple terms the cost of the tiles is usually higher than conventional vinyl flooring or paints and resins. To justify our claim we ask you to consider the following points: Klikflor garage flooring is 7mm thick compared to most vinyl or resin based systems that are 1.5mm thick meaning that yu are getting a far more durable and resilient floor finish for your money.
- Unlike other flooring, our tiles do not require any specialist skills to install, and can be laid over damaged, damp or uneven surfaces. It is not usually glued down saving money on specialist contractors, adhesives and floor screeds. Klikflor garage flooring can be used immediately, if you count the cost of interrupting your normal site activities the tiles pay for themselves.
- Unlike conventional flooring products Klikflor garage flooring can be considered to be a capital asset for both tax and also practical purposes. As a loose laid system Klikflor garage flooring can be written down in your accounts as an asset rather than a building improvement which is far more tax efficient. Because Klikflor is considered an asset many finance companies are willing to offer asset finance to buy the floor, please contact our sales team for further information. Lastly and possibly most importantly, Klikflor garage flooring can be lifted, altered and reused as many times as required, move factory or home and you can take the tiles with you. Even if you don’t need the Klikflor garage flooring in your new premises the tiles retain a high intrinsic value as there is a strong market for both second hand tiles and also for the raw material for recycling.
- Floor protection: Not only are you creating a smart, attractive and practical floor finish but you are also protecting the sub-floor from impact and vibration damage. A number of our customers and especially those that occupy premises on short leases will use Klikflor garage flooring to protect the floor and limit their exposure to large bills from the landlord for dilapidations. Why pay for a new floor on three separate occasions, when you move in, when you move out and when you move to new premises when an Klikflor garage flooring floor will cover you for all three!
- What tools are required to install Klikflor garage flooring? – A rubber mallet to connect the interlocking joints and a suitable cutting device are the bare essentials required.
- Do you offer an installation service? – Yes, if you need your tiles to be installed we would be pleased to assist.
- What are these tiles made from? – The K490 is made from recycled material. Recycled does not mean lower quality, the vast majority of waste material we reprocess comes from our own tiles, off cuts from installations and when we replace old floors. Klikflor garage flooring can be reprocessed as many times as required meaning that not one scrap of Klikflor garage flooring need ever end up in landfill or the waste stream. System 2 is made from polypropelyene
- Can I use these tiles outside? – You can only use Unique System 2 Outside, DO NOT USE THE K490 TILE OUTSIDE.
- Can Klikflor garage flooring be installed over a painted / vinyl / carpeted floor? – Yes to the first two but we recommend lifting carpet if possible.
- What do I need to consider when using your tiles in a garage environment? – Klikflor has been used in thousands of commercial and domestic garages creating a smart, clean and dust free workshop environment but there are two important considerations to take into account.
- Catalytic Converters – When the car is running the catalytic converter gets extremely hot and if the car is left running whilst sitting on the tiles it may cause the tiles directly under the converter to expand through the heat. This is only a temporary issue and the tiles will shrink back to their original size once the heat source has been removed. In a busy commercial garage it is worth considering gluing the tiles down in-between the lifts or ramps where vehicles may be left with the engine running.
- Staining from car tyres – Rubber tyres will stain almost every type of floor including bare concrete, painted and vinyl flooring. The stain is a chemical reaction and will not damage the tiles or impact on their durability.
- What causes the staining? The stain is caused by a component used within the manufacture of car tyres called ‘6PPD’ (phenaline diamine). 6PPD is an anti-oxidant and is added to rubber products to resist environmental attack by ozone and Ultraviolet light. It also has other beneficial effects in the moulding of rubber itself. Since it adds to the cost of making tyres, manufacturers usually only add it to the softer high performance tyres. The staining is dark grey / green in appearance and will show within 4 to 5 hours of the tyre being located on the tile. The stain cannot be removed as it is a chemical reaction between the 6PPD and the surface it is in contact with.
- How to avoid the staining issue – Because the stain in a dark grey / green it is far less obvious in the darker colours and is almost indistinguishable from the colour of our Dark Grey / Anthracite Tile (which also happens to be one of the smartest and most popular colours).
- Quality, Raw Material and the environment: – Our tiles are manufactured on state of the art injection moulding machines that use one third of the electricity of traditional machines. Our process is fully automated ensuring that every single tile is checked for colour consistency and size and every pallet will contain exactly the quantity of tiles ordered, the computer doesn’t make mistakes!
- We use a chemically free phenol stabiliser (calcium zinc) rather than the more traditional Barium Zinc which has a chemical / soapy smell which leaves an unpleasant odour after the floor tiles have been installed. This is particularly important for applications where the tiles are going to be installed within a sensitive area such as schools, shops and retail applications.
- Our tiles are manufactured from a slightly more rigid plastic designed to offer better resistance to heavy loading such as reach trucks and electric pallet trucks, they are far less likely to ripple (wave effect) when vehicles with a high point loading move across the floor and they also offer better thermal stability (less propensity to expand in direct sunlight / adjacent to high heat source).
- Recycling, every off cut scrap tile or old floor can be returned to the factory and re-ground and used in the manufacture of new tiles. This has zero impact on quality, durability or performance but has a major positive effect reducing the amount of waste sent to landfill. We also offer a guaranteed buy back scheme on all old tiles, once the floor has reached the end of its useable life we will buy back the tiles at the current waste compound market value and reprocess them into our recycled range of tiles.
- Availability / Lead Time – Peace of Mind – The tiles are manufactured in Luton, about 40 miles north of London and approximately 2 miles from the M1 and have excellent access to the motorway network and therefore almost the entirety of the UK. We hold considerable levels of stock and can produce up to 900m² per day so if you need to collect same day or have a guaranteed next day delivery it is no problem for us. If you’re running short on an installation we can get the tiles to you before it even becomes a problem.
- Price and value for money – We guarantee to offer the best value for money for like for like product (material, size and thickness). Because we are using state of the art machinery and our process is fully automated we believe that there is no one in the market who can compete on a like for like basis. The only way a competitor’s product will be cheaper is because they are using an inferior raw material compound that will impact on quality, durability, maintenance and performance.
What is the purpose of Klikflor’s tile design when compared to other interlocking floor tiles and why is it better?
- The purpose of grid pattern on the back of our tiles – The tiles have been designed to ensure absolute dimensional stability so that they fit perfectly without gaps between the joints or in the corners. It is our unique grid pattern that ensures the dimensional stability.
- Plastic will tend to want to curl over time, a flat backed tile will after time start to curl at each corner, the ridge pattern on ours ensures that the tile will remain flat for the life of the tile, this is a proven fact and based on the physical and chemical properties of plastics.
- The pockets of air create a cushion which prevents the tile from rattling as a flat backed tile will do.
- The little pockets of air also create a mini vacuum which stops the tile from slipping on the floor especially if there is any oil, water or grease in the substrate, very important for small areas of tiles or where an island of tiles is being installed that is not butting up against retaining walls.
- The grid pattern allows our tile to cope better with imperfections in the substrate.
- The grid pattern allows the floor to breathe – very important if installing over concrete that hasn’t cured yet or if there is damp in the floor.